Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Room to Grow - A Nursery for Ella


via



Yesterday I announced the birth of my neice, Gabriella and even though I just saw her, I miss her already!  I figure there's no better way to welcome the most beautiful baby girl into the family than to design a room for her, so that's what today's post is all about. 


Ella's room is already a deep green, with bamboo window treatments so I wanted to add some accents of yellow and pink to make the space a little more feminine but not overly babyish.  My sister has an affinity for dark furniture, so all of the wooden pieces are an Espresso finish.  Below are a few of the things I would put in a space designed for Ella, along with descriptions.




  1. Window Treatments: Bamboo Roman Shade (similar)
  2. Walls:  deep green (similar to Sherwin Williams Oakmoss)
  3. Artwork:  Andy Warhol Sunsets prints (example)

All of the furniture (with the exception of the changing table of course) can be used by my sister now and by Ella as she grows older.  They didn't really use the crib with their first-born so a changing table with storage underneath is perfect for baby #2.  I started my design with the rug as a way to bring in the accent colors.  It's an indoor/outdoor rug which means it's durable against baby messes, plus it's so cheerful and pretty!  Their home is filled with similarly patterend rugs so this one would fit right in, and the bright colors brought in the color palette without screaming "nursery."  I continued the colors in the lamp and the beanbag chair, which I knew would be perfect for the space since it's organic and Larisa goes crazy over that!  Andy Warhol paintings complete the look and are another thing that would fit in both a nursery and a college dorm.  Art for life!  Add in a stuffed monkey and my neice will be sitting pretty in her new bedroom.


What do you think of these choices?  What other things would you add to the room?
Please comment and share, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment