Monday, September 10, 2012

Attitude of Gratitude - Week 13

Are you ready for the biggest gratitude yet on Just Squeaks??  Wait for it....

I got an interior design job!

Can you believe it?  I still can't!  Someone is actually going to let me follow my passion and then pay me for it!  I've had the idea to move up and out from where I am now for awhile, but hadn't really done much about it.  I felt silly leaving where I was if it wasn't in pursuit of what I really wanted to do: interior design.  But I also thought that without previous experience and only a couple classes under my belt that was pretty much out of the question.

It just goes to show, you never know until you try!

When I came across a Design Assistant position at a well-known, well-respected company, I decided to submit my resume because they worst they could say to me was no.  Within a few hours I got a call, that weekend I interviewed, and the next day I was offered the job!

I am so incredibly excited to start working there and learning from all the amazing staff they have.  To be able to work for such a great brand and be doing what I love is beyond amazing, I can't even fully imagine it yet.  I know that this is going to be a life-changing experience, I can just feel it. 

If you've been following Just Squeaks (which you can do by subscribing on the right side of the home page) then you may have been wondering what the heck big life decision I was talking about in this post.  Well, now you know!  I wanted to wait and spread the word until after I had signed the offer letter and notified my current employer.  As insanely excited as I was when I got the offer (my cheeks hurt from smiling so much and calling everyone I knew to tell them the great news), I was also very nervous because of my lack of experience (I hate feeling unprepared) and because it is a little bit of a  big financial gamble to quit my full-time, salaried, benefitted job for a part-time position that offers neither and is further from my house.  I've always been very financially stable thanks to lots of hard work and saving the majority of my income.  I was worried that taking my dream job and continuing classes was going to send me to financial ruin.  Enter fortune cookie here:


I know it's silly.  But this was the message I needed...  I know myself.  I'm an extremely hard worker, even when it's something I hate.  So to be able to work on something I love?  There will be no bounds for me and I'm going to learn as much as I can and work my behind off to make sure my dreams aren't just dreams, but realities.  So thank you to Golden China for letting the universe contact me through your fortune cookies, and thank you to my soon-to-be employer for helping me check another item off my bucket list by hiring me and paying me to do what I would do for free!


What did you feel like when you got the job of your dreams?
Were you excited? Nervous? Both?
Comment to share your story, I would love to hear it!


If anyone knows of any opportunities of what else I can do part time that wouldn't conflict with a job like this please forward them along, as I will be looking for another way to make up for the cut in income.  Thanks, I appreciate all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment